Welcome to the OZPWC.COM Message Boards.
    Am Am

Default Seadoo front hood strut breaking

Hey, fairly new to owning a Seadoo (2013 RXTX260RS), and in the 4 weeks that I have owned it I have had to replace the front hood strut end piece/clip twice already. Ive always been careful when opening/closing the front hood, and both times I have found the piece to be already broken when opening the front hood after riding. I have read that this is pretty common, and the only solution I could find was to keep replacing it at $18 dollars a piece. So I set about finding a better solution, and off to Bunnings I went.

The front hood strut end piece (with broken tabs) - seadoo part number 269501717:

Attached Images Attached Images

Am Am

And here is what I come up with as a fix.

For less than $5 I got: Bolts - 1/4" x60mm, and some matching nyloc nuts and washers.

I then drilled a 1/4" hole through the broken strut end piece, and put it all back together.
    Once the end piece was lined up in the mounting spot on the hood, I was able to pass the bolt through the mount and end piece (there is already holes in the mounting spot on the hood for the bolt to go through) and then add a second washer and bolt it up with the nyloc nuts. It doesn't need to be super tight, just enough for the nyloc nut to bite. So far it looks good and all seems to work fine. Hood opens and closes as it should and I dont see there being any real issues with how I have done it. Certainly should last a lot longer than the original plastic mount.

I thought I would post this up and hopefully someone else with the same issue will find it useful/helpful.

Thanks,
    Ant.

Attached Images Attached Images

Pro Pro

You might want to change it out to a stainless bolt washers and nut. Wont take long for that one to rust
    300x take2

Am Am

Thanks mate, i will do but i had trouble finding something in stainless the length needed so settled for zinc for now. Ill try a nut and bolt shop through the week and see what i can get hold of.

New Member New Member

Good job, bit of outside the box thinking there. My struts were stuffed when I bought the ski, earlier model and I replaced them but the replacements didn't last long so I just let it flop now. Prop it open with the wetbag,lol.

Thread Information